Fuel/overheating

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel/overheating
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:04:43 -0600
I recently moved from PA to Idaho.  Now my 67 MGB runs hot.  I was thinking=
=20
it may be due to the elevation (now at 4350 ft), but that should make me run=
=20
rich, not lean.  Changed my thermostat, that did not cure the problem.=20
Re-set my ignition timing to 10=B0 at 1000rpm with the vacuum advance off,=
 and=20
played with the mixture several times until it was so rich that I burned oil=
=20
on hard acceleration.  Even with all this, my water temp at 80 mph (speed=20
limit is 75 here) is 200=B0F.  Other than changing the radiator core to a 4=
=20
row, does anyone have suggestions to cool this down?

Also, I am considering running some 100LL (100 octane, low lead ....=20
aviation fuel).  Would this make my car run hotter or colder?  The guy at=20
the local small airport doesn't have any issues with selling me the fuel=20
(legally at least), but he was very concerned about what it might do to my=
=20
engine.  The big concern was "detonation."  He said he would not be=20
responsible for damage done to the engine.  Anyone know if these concerns=20
are founded? =20

Another alternative ... I saw an ad in Hemmings for tetraethyl-lead (not a=
=20
substitute) - $20/gal (enough for 100 gal of fuel).  Anyone know if this=20
would be better than aviation fuel?

Thanks,
Phil Bates
67 MGB