Need help with supercharged MGTD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help with supercharged MGTD
From: MarkS17081@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:38:44 -0400
I'm looking for some advice on a poorly running '53 TD with Marshall
Supercharger.

I've had the car for five years, putting 1,000 to 2,000 miles per year with
no problems.  I was told that the engine and blower were both completely
redone about 10,000 miles ago.

The problem first appeared in October.  I first thought that I was running
into a gusty wind then I realized the car was losing power at speed.  The
problem was intermittent--sometimes it ran poorly, I pulled off the road,
scratched my head, got back in and it ran perfectly.  I found that the blower
belt was worn (starting to crack) and I suspected that the blower's oil
return line was not keeping up with the oil feed.  I thought that the oil
might be building up in the blower and slowing down the rotors.  Over the
winter I changed the belt, re-ran the oil feed and return lines (with larger,
1/4" OD for the return line) and I rebuilt the fuel pump.

Since I put the car back on the road in March, the car was running
perfectly--until last week when the problem returned.  Now it seems that the
car runs great for about an hour or so (50-60 miles) then starts to hesitate.
 At low speed it seems fine but when you step on the accelerator and it just
gasps.  It feels like it may be bad gas (but it isn't) or its starving.

Could it be some kind of vapor lock, since the problem shows up only when the
temp rises?  Could it be a blower problem?  Any ideas or suggestions will be
appreciated.

Mark Sherman
'53 MGTD
Marks17081@aol.com