Re: Fuel/overheating

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel/overheating
From: Glen Eldridge <glenel@infobahnos.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:48:37 -0400
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 MGBCHRIS@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Lead was added to fuel for one reason only - it serves as a "cushion" or
> > lubricant for the valve to valve seat.  Older vehicles had valve and seat
>
> I thought I had read that the lead was added to increase the octane and
> that the lubricating effect was an unexpected byproduct.
>
> Not that it matters,
> Ulix
>
> Gentlemen; lead, in the form of tetraethyl lead, was ariginally added as a
>byproduct specifically designed to increase the octane rating of
gasoline, and its lubricant properties were only discovered afterwards.

In a former life, I was an aircraft mechanic on fixed-wing aircraft,
which at the time (early 60's) ran on fuel with an octane range of
80-87.  The army in its' arcane wisdom decided that, to accommodate
future aircraft needs and at the same time simplify logistics, it would
standardize all non-turbine aircraft fuel with 115-145 fuel!  In order
that earlier aircraft not suffer in-flight engine damage, we were
required to add another additive, TCP (tricresyl phosphate), which
precipitated out the excess lead.  Well, that it did - no detonation, no
overheating, but lots of down time anyway; lead fouling so heavy I, on
several memorable occasions, actually poured lead b-b's out of the spark
plugs, and they were platinum plugs!

Some of you may also remember that Shell used to advertise a new miracle
additive called - "STP", saying it made your car run better for a
variety of reasons.  They sure as hell didn't tell anyone it reduced the
octane rating of your gasoline.

Regards from memory lane,

Glen Eldridge

glenel@infobahnos.com