Re: Help! with brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! with brakes
From: KGSTUART@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:23:03 -0400
You Wrote:
Hello everyone.  I was wondering if anyone had some tips on renewing the
rear wheel cylinders on a B.  Mine leak, so I took the bother to change the
seals.  One of them still leaks.  I suppose it's because my brake hone is
not small enough to fit the B's cylinders.  Does anyone has any advice for
fitting the new rubbers?  Also, does anyone know if unleaded fuel is
particularly harmful for a '72 B head?
------------------------------

    One sure way to solve the problem is to buy a replacement wheel cylinder.
However, If you want to take a crack at fixing the one you have, try
this...........
Most hones won't fit the tiny wheel cylinders that are on LBCs. I think most
hones remove too much material anyway. Inspect the inside surface of the
cylinder. If there is significant pitting, your chances for success are not
as good. Find some 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper at the local auto parts
store,( It is super fine grit). Carefully and evenly polish the inside of the
wheel cylinder, using brake fluid as a lubricant. Try to polish in more than
one direction, and definitely don't leave any small sanding grooves that run
the length of the cylinder. They can be small brake fluid "highways" that the
seal can't handle. . Don't take off any more material than you have to in
order to achieve a perfectly smooth surface. Flush the inside until you have
removed all of the grit. Then install new seals. Good Luck.......

Randy Kegg
1958 MGA
1966 Morris Traveller
1964 Porsche 356C