Re: Dual carbs vs. Z-S

To: "SLUPECKI A." <ajslupecki@mke9.ra.rockwell.com>
Subject: Re: Dual carbs vs. Z-S
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:33:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 18 Jun 1996, SLUPECKI A. wrote:

> I have not seen a lot of response to my original post and was hoping to get
>more
> input.  I need to replace a cracked manifold on my 78 B (with the Z-S carb).
> local MG mechanic and used part source here is strongly recommending I switch
> the dual carbs and manual choke for more trouble free operation.  The Z-S has
> been rebuilt and there are no other known problems other than the manifold.
>
> Cost for him to replace manifold and carb with rebuilt HS4s, manifolds, and
> manual choke is $500 ($375 for parts if I do the work).  Price of a used
> manifold from him is $70.
>
> What's everyone think?
>
> Andy Slupecki
> 78 B (almost back on the road)

        Andy, if you live in a state that requires smog inspections
KEEP IT STOCK. It will cost loads less. Otherwise you may find your self
looking for someone to "smog your car" who, 1. dosen't know a thing
ablout you car, (he will probably insist that it needs a "low emision
tune up" (adjust your carbs for you), 2. someone willing to pass your non
approved modifications, for a substansal fee (which he will use to buy
his buddys a round of beer).
        The first smog check I had done on my C the guy dug out some very
old books and verified that I had the correct carbs and dist. (payback
for my early years as a smog tech. No one got a break from me.)
        I could go on but my ISP will probably crash soon :(

        lex