Re: Dual carbs vs. Z-S

To: ajslupecki@mke9.ra.rockwell.com
Subject: Re: Dual carbs vs. Z-S
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:36:32 -0400

>I need to replace a cracked manifold on my 78 B (with the Z-S carb).  A
local MG mechanic and used part source here is strongly recommending I switch
to the dual carbs and manual choke for more trouble free operation.  The Z-S
has been rebuilt and there are no other known problems other than the
manifold.

>Cost for him to replace manifold and carb with rebuilt HS4s, manifolds, and
manual choke is $500 ($375 for parts if I do the work).  Price of a used
manifold from him is $70.

>What's everyone think?

I like my dual H4s.  I hear lots of nasty things about Z-S and not much good.
 You'll get better performance from the duals as well.  If you like the idea
and don't mind the $$$, go for it.

On the other hand, if your Z-S is working OK now, and you do mind the $$$,
you may just want to wait it out until your Z-S isn't working OK again.  It
might be a long wait, and you may never have to part with those $$$.  May be
a good bet to just replace the manifold at this time.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
Naperville, Illinois