Ernest Gilbert's PCV

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ernest Gilbert's PCV
From: Richard Lancaster <RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:14:55 -0400
I too have a 67 MGB, now with a PCV.  The DPO sold it to me with a
rubber pipe from a small outlet on the valve cover, (it was the wrong
cover), over to one air filter with an input pipe on the back of it.
The suction that way was WAY too much, either killing the engine with
much burning oil, or saturating the air filter with oil and causing a
fire in the air cleaner when the engine backfired.  When I opened it
up, the filter was two rubber ends and charred paper bits in between.
 Soooo,
I found the old PCV, reassembled it with the rubber sheet or valve
properly in, not pinched at all, and installed it in the proper
manifold hole that was previously blocked by a large bolt.  Ran a
tube up from the valve inspection plate to the PCV, and have had no
problems since then.
When checking it, I have found only a bit of oil in the throat.  How
it works is explained at the MG archieves in a very detailed article,
you should read it before you do anything else.  And I would suspect
that thin rubber sheet or valve in there, if its holed or stiff, it
does NOT work.  You can test that by removing and cleaning the PCV
and huffing and puffing on the ends, until you figure it out and see
if it works.  Also, it is very important to have a oil filler cap
that BREATHES!  That is where the air is supposed to be drawn INTO
the engine valve cover.  There are three types of oil filler caps and
one of them does not breathe.  The whole PCV process is necessary,
however, to let the engine breathe, not get overpressured, which is
tough on gaskets, etc., more so than  any anti-polution effects.
Good luck...
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||