TD Transmission Rattle

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Transmission Rattle
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:04:59 +0000
Been driving the old TD after it's 25 year storage. At first it didn't
want to go beyond 3K rpm but it seems more willing to rev every
time I take it out. Had it up to 4K rpm (55mph) yesterday for  the
first time. I want to take it to Indy which is only 50 miles for me, but
that seems like a long way at 4K.

I expect the engine to be noisey but not the transmission. At about
2K rpm she starts to rattle. The amount of rattle depends on how
hard I am accelerating. Cruising it kind of depends on exactly what
rpm I'm doing, but it always gets loud when I accelerate hard.
Other than the rattle, the transmission shifts smoothly and does not
use any oil. If I grasp the lever firmly I can make the rattle go away.
I put a new operating shaft plunger and spring in (boy were the
old ones ever worn), and this made the shifting much smoother
but it did not help the rattle. Any advice on what to look for? Does
this sound like anything that should keep me from driving untill
it is fixed? It's a little too late to do anything before Indy. Thanks in
advance.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
53 MG-TD Driving now
71 MGB In the body shop since October, three months overdue.
     Uh-Oh he doesn't have a phone anymore.