Cutting out problem resolved (I hope)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cutting out problem resolved (I hope)
From: "Ken.Strauss" <Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 8:13:00 -0500
     Cutting out:

     I'm not 100% sure but I think I may have found the problem.

     When it was time to get the B inspected, I was working with the
     lighting and found the green wire ciruit was running at 10.5 volts for
     some undetermined reason.  This resulted in very weak brake/reverse
     lights.  There was another (unconnected) wire near the block
     (White/Brown) which was carrying 12.23 volts. I switched them just to
     see if all worked properly and everything seemed fine. The lights were
     nice a bright and the radiator fan went from sounding anemic to full
     tornado.  However, a few days after this change, I started to
     experience the cutting out problem.  I suppose something in the
     ignition circuit wants the 10.5 volts??

     I pulled out my Haynes manual and followed the traces on the wiring
     diagram to find that the green and the White/Brown wires are supposed
     to be attached to opposite sides of the same fuse ????  They are now
     attached this way and the B had no "episodes" on the way in this AM.
     I am perplexed as to why the fuse would be getting 10.5 volts from the
     left and 12 volts from the right.

     Does anyone have a really good reference on the wiring in these little
     beasties.  Not just the wiring diagram variety, but I would really
     like to know what the voltages are supposed to be on the main
     circuits.

     Ken Strauss
     1980 MGB
     ken.strauss@pscmail.ps.net