Re: some questions(battery)

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <pharris@eos.vf.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: some questions(battery)
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 14:50:55 -0400
Keith Wrote:
>5. Bought A Battery At Kmart Last Night. Of Course Mg Wasn`t In Their Book. I
>   Got The Same Battery We Use In The 74 B, Except A Source Recommended I Get
>   The One With 580 Amps (Instead Of 525)...that This Was Better. Can Anyone
>   Confirm This...this Source Has Been Mistaken Before [See #1 :-) ]

Yes, your source is right, (no matter what he said for a reason).  I
can't remember what I found for the origional output of the dual 6V
batteries were.  As I remember it was just around 500 CCA.  I use a Delco
26-60S battery with 550 CCA rating.  It works fine-cranks a long time!
As long as your replacement battery is at least as strong as
recomended(?) there should not be a problem.  If you get a replacement
that is stronger, adding up to 100 CCA, then the less stress you will put
on the battery during harsh conditions,(short trips w/ frequent
starting,extreme hot/cold), when starting.  Installing a battery more
than 100 CCA over the recomended rating does nothing except weigh your
auto down and drain $$ from your pocket.  The reason is that you can give
a stater all the power in the world, it will still only use what it can.

I would recomend that if you bought a 50 month battery, that you ask to
have it replaced with a 60 month.  The liddle added CCA is a bit of
insurance and well as having the longer warranty.  If I find the old data
I used I'll send it to you.

John Knight
'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"working on Brit cars is ALMOST as much fun as driving"
"of couse my responces are late - I get the DIGEST version"