Re: Temperature guage

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Temperature guage
From: kral@anvil.nrl.navy.mil (Milo Kral)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 15:07:15 -0400
Hi MGBChris,
   In early MGBs (up thru '67),  the temperature guage was a lot different
than later cars.  They were part of a dual oil/pressure/temp gauge,  and
both were mechanical gauges,  i.e.,  they actually work off of a change in
pressure (I'm pretty sure this is right).  For the oil pressure gauge this
is obvious.  The temperature gauge was connected to a thin tube running all
the way up to a bulb that fits where your temp. sender fits.  The tube and
bulb were filled with ammonia (I'm pretty sure this is right).  The guy who
posted the original note found a unique way to break this flimsy
tube...usually they fail by over-stress or fatigue.  He has no choice by to
send it out for repairs or buy a new one.  BTW, mine broke because I bent
it one too many times. I had it refurbished/calibrated by "The Temperature
Guy" in Dunedin,  FL.  I think it cost about $50.

Milo

Milo Kral
Code 6324
Naval Research Laboratory