Spare Parts Quality

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Spare Parts Quality
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 12:41:09 +0200
MGBChris wrote:

>I've made the mistake of
>rebuilding my front end with stock rubber bushes, and these are already
>deteriorating after only 5K miles.

Yeah, I had the same experience with the front end rubber bushes.
I had ordered the V8-type bushes, but when the time came to replace them,
they did not fit. (because they were imitation parts of poor quality).

I then replaced the old, perished ones with the standard MGB rubber
bushes from the same (my regular) supplier in Britain.
The very next year, the car failed the annual safety check _again_ because the
new bushes had _again_ gone. Not even 4000 km / 2500 miles later!
Obviously these bushes were of poor imitation quality!

Probably this was the case with your bushes too.....

I then ordered the same standard  MGB rubber bushes
at one of the few remaining Rover dealerships over here.
After about a week I got them.
They have now been under the car for 4 years or so and still in good condition.

Moral of the story: Not all parts are the same!
The real tricky part is that you have no way of determining the quality
or the origin of the parts you order.
Even more tricky is that many suppliers even dare to use the original Rover
Part #s while what they actually deliver is S**T!

My suggestion is that our cherished suppliers also indicate in their parts
list where
a part is sourced from.
So _I_  can decide whether to buy an original part at a higher price or an
imitation part
at a lower price.
Now, I have no way of telling and I have no way of finding out.

Greetings

Bert