Re: Roof Ripping

To: tboicey@blackknight.isocan.com
Subject: Re: Roof Ripping
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 02:09:05 -0400
If you want a convertible, buy a convertible. DO NOT attempt to do this to a
GT.

The GT and the RD are built quite differently; the roof on the GT is integral
to its structural viability. If you remove the roof, the car will most
likely, as you put it, 'fold in half'. It will at the very least be unsafe.

If I recall my GT vs RD specs correctly, the GT is something like 300 lbs
lighter than the RD. This is because of extra structural support in the RD
which allows it to not have a roof. This support does not exist in the GT,
and, unless you're a structural engineer with an adequate CAD programme,
you're unlikely to be able to figure out where the extra metal should go.

Good luck; if you decide to restore the GT, you should have yourself a very
nice road car. If you instead decide to purchase a roadster, then the very
best of luck in finding a good, restorable one that you can have fun with.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'