RE: Re[2]: First problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re[2]: First problem
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 96 12:52:57 PDT
Ray Gibbons asked:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Wes Grady wrote:
>
> > All the wheel cylinders were replaced 300 miles ago, as were the lines,
> the fluid, etc.  We have no idea why it hung up, but it did.  Now fixed.
> >

> What about your mechanic's chuckle and explanation that "they all do
> that" if you put on the e-brake while you have the pedal depressed?  Did
> he recant, and admit they don't all do that?  What was he talking about?

Since no one else has explained this, I'll put in my 1 1/2 cents worth (not
worth two whole cents).  Back when I was fiddling with the dreaded MGA
coupe's brakes, I discovered that the hand brake actuated the piston in the
wheel cylinder instead of spreading the brake shoes by a separate mechanism.
I can't remember the details of this and no longer have the car to look at,
but I remember thinking that it was a stupid design.  I can imagine that
stepping on the brake pedal, which moves the piston out, and then pulling up
on the handbrake, which would move the piston some more, could cause the
piston to be overextended, but I'm not sure how this would make the brakes
stick on.

Denise Thorpe
denise.l.thorpe@cpmx.saic.com