re:Rust prevention

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Rust prevention
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 12:03:54 PDT
Mike (MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com) said:

> I've heard of people in rust-prone areas who take their old oil after an
> oil change and "paint" it onto the bottom of their vehicle.  At least
> that's what I've heard people on the Washington state coast do up in the NW
> USA where vehicles will seem to melt from rust before your very eyes.

People in the southwest USA do this too and spray the used oil into the
fenders.  I didn't and my '67 B needs doglegs _again_ after having it done
16 years ago.  I've also been told that the seal around the crescent shaped
panel inside the front fenders needs to be replaced regularly to keep dirt
out of the fender.  My car came from Texas and I never thought it would
rust through again in San Diego where it almost never rains and I almost
never wash my car.  But when I replaced a fender, I found about two pounds
of wet dirt at the bottom of it.

Denise Thorpe
denise.l.thorpe@cpmx.saic.com