Rust prevention

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust prevention
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 08:29:08 -0400 (EDT)
   There is nothing like doing some body work to stimulate the imagination to
think of ways to not have to do it again.
   I have noticed first hand, and had it confirmed by others that MG's don't
rust in spots where oil has leaked on it.  Another member of this list reported
spraying down his engine bay with WD40.  Yet another reported that rubbing oil
into surface rust is very effective at previenting further rust. I have put this
into practice on my truck by oiling the truck bed beneath the bedliner (will
report back on how effective this is).
    My question is this:  How effective would WD40 be if sprayed into various
nooks & crannies, avoiding rubber parts?  For example I could imagine drilling a
small hole in the inner sills of my Midget and spraying WD40 in there once a
year, or spraying some on the undercoating under the car, and on the inside of
the fenders, cowls, inside the trunk, floors beneath carpeting etc.  Would this
be a fire hazzard?  Has anyone tried this?

Tom Wannenburg
74 Midget