charging dual 6v batteries

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: charging dual 6v batteries
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 1996 06:36:40 -0700
Vicky,
  I agree with all that has been said; treat the dual six-volt system as
one big 12v battery and make one connection from the charger to
the positive pole of one battery and the other connection to the negative
pole of the other battery.  As Terry pointed out, problems occur when you
can't tell which is negative and which is the positive pole in the
system.  Also, dual six-volt systems can be frustrating if the
interconnection between the two six volt batteries is poor. Be sure all
cables are in good condition and the cable-to-post connections are free
of corrosion and tight.  For everyday use, I prefer a single, 12volt
battery which fits in one of the compartments. If you need to replace
your batteries, I would recommend that change.  It doesn't alter the car
in any significant way; you can always change it back if you wish, and
meantime you can use the other battery well for storage.
                         Lew