Re: Colorado pollution inspection?

To: Eugene_Faust@wb.xerox.com
Subject: Re: Colorado pollution inspection?
From: Mil@gnn.com (John Miller)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:43:17
> My daughter is moving to Boulder and would like to take our 73 Midget
> with her. This Midget is in excellent condition but long ago had all
> the emission equipment removed?  Is there some sort of emission
> inspection in Colorado?  If so, what does it consist of?  Also, are
> there any good MG mechanics in or near Boulder.  Her mechanical
> ability does not go much beyond keeping her mountain bike and kayak
> operational.

        Yes there is a pollution inspection in Colorado and it makes about as
much sense as the others being discussed in this forum.  For cars 1980 and
older they have the traditional idle test.  Unfortunately, I can't get a
straight answer on what is passable or not.  I brought my 76 B  out from
Pennsylvania two years ago and have tried in vain to get it through
emissions. The original emissions equipment is a distant memory since it has
the Weber DGV, exhaust header and free-flow exhaust.  When I took the car in
for testing it was ONE-TENTH the allowable emissions for a 1976 automobile.
But then they told me that it failed automatically because it didn't have an
air pump (I think the rocket scientist doing the test mistook the front
muffler as a Catalytic Converter).
        The clincher to this story is that they told me that if the car had the
original equipment and and was a gross polluter, all I would have to do is
show them receipts for $50 worth of repairs and it would get an exemption.
When I tried to call someone having anything to do with the emissions
program, I was referred to the Colorado Department of Revenue and promptly
ran into a bureaucratic brick wall.
        So as far as the State of Colorado is concerned, they would rather have
 a gross polluting car with original emissions on their roads than have a
clean, well-kept automobile that makes little contribution to the pollution
problem.