Dragging Brake

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dragging Brake
From: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 23:49:43 -0500
-- [ From: Bill Mills * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I just returned this evening from a 200 mile drive from Charlotte.  As I was
leaving Charlotte, I could begin to smell something hot that seemed be
coming from the B.  Gauges appeared normal, drive on a few more miles,.....
still smells hot.  When I pulled over the brakes had faded-- not good.  A
quick look around revealed that the right front brake was the source of the
problem, she was really hot.  I assume the caliper was seizing the rotor.  I
drove about another half mile to a safe place to pull into a lot.  Both
front wheel hubs felt pretty hot (wire wheels).  I let things cool off for
about 30 minutes while I reviewed my next step.

I jacked up each side in turn and spun the wheels.  I could feel a little
drag on both fronts, but nothing seemed seized.  topped up the m/c, was down
a little, pretty typical.  I decided to go ahead and try the brakes.  No
further indication of a caliper dragging on the rotor or excessive heat.
Braking seemed normal again with out fade.  I went ahead and completed the
trip without further incident.  I had put new pads on these brakes about six
weeks ago.  I had a hard time getting the pistons pushed into the calipers
then (C clamps), but I did get them in.  I didn't rebuild the calipers.

So what should be my next move?  M/C or calipers?  Or possibly brake hose
replacement (I remember some discussion about old hoses collapsing and
preventing fluid return to the M/C)?  If I am doing the master cylinder
should I get it brass sleeved by Apple?  I assume that I probably warpped
the rotor.  Your advice is appreciated.

Bill Mills
70 'BGT