Re: Dragging Brake

To: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Subject: Re: Dragging Brake
From: Bill D <billd@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 22:55:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Bill Mills wrote:

> I assume the caliper was seizing the rotor.

> So what should be my next move?  M/C or calipers?  Or possibly brake hose
> replacement (I remember some discussion about old hoses collapsing and
> preventing fluid return to the M/C)?  If I am doing the master cylinder
> should I get it brass sleeved by Apple?  I assume that I probably warpped
> the rotor.  Your advice is appreciated.

If the calipers are of unknown pedigree, replacing them can't hurt.  If
you're on the cheap, try replacing *just* the flex hoses going to the
front brakes, and see if that makes the problem go away... common failure
mode for these is that they fail internally and balloon up on the inside,
making it difficult to relieve pressure in the calipers when the M/C
pistons return.

At any rate, if you elect to renew the front calipers, it's false economy
not to renew the flex hoses as well, as they're relatively cheap (about
$12 ea. as I remember.)

Bill
who did a caliper transplant this weekend on his '71 MGB

--
billd@doa.net billd@voicenet.com  (Bill Duetschler)
"Yesterday, apropos of nothing, one friend said to me 'Do you ever have