[MG] Urgent ! Oil Pressure With Sythetic Oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [MG] Urgent ! Oil Pressure With Sythetic Oil
From: "Rob" <rah@sna.co.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:52:19 +0000
Hi,

I've just decided to splash out on some new 10W/40 oil. The
oil in question is Castrol Magnatec synthetic.

After fitting the oil the temperature of the engine whilst
cruising at 70 mph is lower than it has ever been. BUT!
After going for a short motorway journey (40 miles) at 70 mph
I pulled of the motorway and with the rpm at approximately
600 the engine oil pressure light was flickering. Now this
is a new engine with only 8000 miles, it has never shown
the oil pressure light with my normal oil, Castrol GTX or
Duckhams Hypergrade.

Is this a problem with these synthetic oils on 1500's?
Will it do any damage to the engine?

The oil pressure light goes of as soon as the revs go above
600, but I know that the oil pressure light only activates
at 8psi, surely the oil pressure should be higher than that
at idle.

Oh yeah, I have got an oil cooler.

Any comments very greatly appreciated as I'm going to Cornwall
soon, a 380 mile motorway journey!

UPDATE: Fitted uprated pressure switch, which activates at 20 psi.
Normally goes of at 1000 revs when at running temperature. After a short
motorway run [10 miles at 70mph] it goes of at around 1300 rpm.
Is this OK?

Rob.