Re: Erratic oil pressure gauge

To: skillman@clark.net
Subject: Re: Erratic oil pressure gauge
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:53:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 skillman@clark.net wrote:

> The electric gauge in my MGC is starting to drive me crazy (crazier?).  Oil
> pressure readings are very inconsistent.  I'm guessing the most likely
> culprit is the sender unit but because of the price ($120!!) I'm looking at
> other things first.
> Has anyone converted to totally mechanical?- Whats involved and what parts
> are needed?
>             Bob Skillman  47 TC,  68 MGC

        Bob;
I have a 69 C and have had concerns about my oil presure also. I
installed a mechanical guage in the block in place of the sender (this
was a test and not for daily use) it just barely fit but it did confirm
that I had good and stable pressure.
I have thought about refitting my car with a latter style guage from a B
and routing a line to the block, but my car needs sooo much that I
decided to do it much later.
If you decide to change guages get a guage from a B and also the line
behind the dash, (get as many of the related parts that you can ie.
clamps, brackets, hoses, pipes, block fittings, ect.) your best bet is to
find a car that is for parts and have at it. You may have to improvise in
the engine compartment to connect the pipe to the block as I'm sure the
hole in the block may not be in the same place.
        Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
                                LEX