RE: Parking MGBs on Sunny Days

To: "'Robert J Donahue/DELCO'" <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: RE: Parking MGBs on Sunny Days
From: Dave Kendall <dkendall@slip.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:19:35 -0700
>What I would like to know is what other owners do when they park in public
places,

When I first bought my MG I shared your discomfort in leaving the top down.
After a while I gradually became accustomed to it and now feel safer doing
so. The only problem I have had is one time when I was parked on a city
street at night and returned to the car to find someone had tried without
success to extract the stereo. The facia panel and the hardware were on the
floor and the only thing missing were the knobs which I replaced for five
bucks. I always use a steering lock and leave nothing of value out in the
vehicle. If I am planning on leaving the car out for more than a couple of
hours I'll put the top up. I'll also avoid parking in bad neiborhoods and
look for public - well lit spots in good neiborhoods. The car is garaged
most of the time and I only use it a couple of times a week.

Most cars are pretty easy to break into and provide far more cover for a
thief's activities once they are inside. The lack of a roof really does not
make things so much easier for a thief and the openness is a deterrent. My
theory is that thieves feel too vulnerable sitting in an open topped car
trying to rip off the radio. They would be sitting visible to all the
world. I think someone looking to steal a car itself would choose something
more inconspicuous.

Having said that I should point out that I am touching wood as I write this
and have insurance coverage. Trust your instincts and physiologically
prepare yourself for what might happen.

Dave Kendall
'76 MGB