Re: MGB 80 LIGHTS

To: Robert J Ryll <rjryll@aztec.co.za>
Subject: Re: MGB 80 LIGHTS
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 22:22:35 -0500
Robert J Ryll wrote:

> Here's the problem: When the car is put in reverse the wing lights on
> the outside rear panels go one, but no reversing lights. If I disconnect
> on of the reversing lights the wing lights go out, and the other
> reversing light goes on, but very dimly. The hazards don't work at all!!

The first thing I would check is the ground for the lights.  Everything in the
rear of the car
gets a common ground from one of the mounting bolts for the license plate
bracket.  Look inside
the trunk (boot) just to right of center below the lid latch.  You will see a
number of black
wires all together on a ring lug bolted to the bracket bolt.  Remove the nut
and ring lug, clean
the lug and the metal where the lug would contact the body.  I placed an
external toothed lock
washer between the ring lug and the body.  Tighten it _securely_ !  Having the
wing lights go out
when the reversing light is disconnected sure indicates a grounding problem.

Hazard lights are likely another problem.  Could be the flasher - it's located
on the right
side firewall inside, just below the glove box.  - At least on a left-drive car
;-) .  The other
possibility is the hazard switch.  Exercise it rather firmly a couple of times.

> Bloody confusing if you ask me! All other lights seem to work fine!!

Good Luck -

Wayne Kube
'79 B
Plano, Texas USA