RE: Fuel Tank Vapor Separator

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, Stephen Clemons <slclemo@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank Vapor Separator
From: "Henrich, Dave" <dhenrich@MSDEV1.Waterloo.NCR.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 13:43:00 EDT
On Saturday, July 13, 1996 12:32 PM, Stephen
Clemons[SMTP:slclemo@erols.com] wrote:
 >>part1 (text/plain)
 >>------------------------------
 >>
 >>I have the same problem in my 74 MGB.  I was wondering what would be
the
 >>impact if I removed the separator and plugged the hoses.  Any
opinions?

 >>- Steve Clemons
  Steve,
The vapor line runs from the gas tank up to the charcoal canister. I
believe the fuel vapors are then "recycled" and burned through the carb.
If you plug the line at the trunk, the fuel tank will not "breathe"
properly and a vacuum will exist. I think the fuel flow then becomes
restricted somewhat. When you remove the gas cap you will hear a whoosh
sound, which means there is air rushing into the tank.  I had a plugged
vapor line on my 79B and was having fuel flow problems, I unplugged the
line and all is well, with no vacuum in the gas tank
Dave