RE: Fuel Tank Vapor Separator

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank Vapor Separator
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 96 12:43:28 -0400
Dave wrote in responce to Dave question:
>The vapor line runs from the gas tank up to the charcoal canister. I
>believe the fuel vapors are then "recycled" and burned through the carb.
>If you plug the line at the trunk, the fuel tank will not "breathe"
>properly and a vacuum will exist. I think the fuel flow then becomes
>restricted somewhat. When you remove the gas cap you will hear a whoosh
>sound, which means there is air rushing into the tank.  I had a plugged
>vapor line on my 79B and was having fuel flow problems, I unplugged the
>line and all is well, with no vacuum in the gas tank
>Dave

Well, Dave is right.  vacuum can build up in the tank while driving and
cause problems.  Also, if it is outside you can also have the problem in
reverse.  If it is a cold morning and it gets to be a hot day with the
auto sitting in the sun it is possible for pressure to build up in the
tank.  This could result in flooding of your carb. (though not often.)

It is best to try to get it hooked up as it also removes the vapors that
lie in the crankcase.  These vapors are what turn motor oil acidic (sp?)
and cause harm to bearings.

John Knight

'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"If uniqueness makes us who we are... why be like everyone else?"