MAJOR 1500cc ENGINE FAILURE

To: mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: MAJOR 1500cc ENGINE FAILURE
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 00:21:33 -0400
Major engine failure in a 1500cc Triumph engine in
a 1975 MG Midget I was in the process of purchasing.

  (the purchase is obviously in limbo now)

   Anyways, cruising along acceptably, the engine lost
power. It was a wet day, and it seemed simply like a
bad ignition wire. So I pulled over.

   I managed to get a friend to tow it to my parents house
which was nearby.

   With a lot of prodding and some careful accelerator work,
we managed to get the engine started again although it ran
very roughly.

   As well, (and this is where it gets bad) the engine poured
about 2 litres of water out of the exhaust. About the same amount
that the coolant level went down. :<  :<  :<

   So obviously coolant is getting into the block somehow. Which
I suppose means three things:

   (In decreasing order of disaster level)

   - Cracked Engine Block
   - Cracked Cylinder Head
   - Blown Cylinder Head Gasket

   I am hoping against hope that it is number three. However, the
solution gets messy.

   The owner (seller) has a receipt for a cylinder head gasket
replacement done 30 days ago that is warrantied for 90 days. So
at least I should be able to get somebody to look at it again for
free.

   So I guess my point comes down to "Why would this thing blow
a head gasket twice in 30 days?". Or perhaps "Why would 30
days after the repair of a head gasket, would the engine block
or head break?"

   I bet I can get it repaired free of charge under this warranty,
but it's no good to repair it as well as it was repaired last
time because it might be only 30 days before it happens again.

   Opinions? If you have any advice please cc it to me as well
as the list, so I can get it faster than the digest. Thanks.