MGB cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB cooling
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 15:44 EDT
R. Johnson writes:
>Is there anyone in the North Dallas area with a late MGB with twin factory
>electric fan s thatI could look at. I am considering updating my '73 to
>improve cooling.

Personally I would NOT bother withe the original twin electric fan setup
on the MGB.
Firstly they are on the wrong side of the radiator
Seconadly they do not have a proper shroud.

Ideally you want an electric fan to SUCK air through the radiator -
therefore it should be placed BEHIND the radiator.

I fitted an elecric fan and shroud from a VW Golf/Jetta. It fitted almost
perfectly. All I had to do was cut the shroud down by a couple of inches
to make it fit the MGB radiator. Then attached it to the back of the raditor
using the stock mounting holes.

I had to fiddle about a bit because the electric fan is very
close to the water pump pulley (with fan blade removed)

Now the fan comes on for about 30 seconds and then switches off. Some
how I think that the fan has more power than the engine, because when
it comes on, it sounds like a turbine.

gerry

ps - there are plenty of modern cars in junk-yards that you can scavange
elecritc fans and all necessary parts

R. Johnson - Dallas