Steering Column Woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Column Woes
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 03:22:42 -0400
Fellow Fiends:

Having established that Rags is -almost- ready for the road, I now have come
up on a small problem with the original steering column (the part above the
universal joint).

This weekend, I disassembled the steering column, inspected it closely, then
put it all back. It -works-, but not precisely as I think it should. One of
our sages here on the net advised me to replace it, and I think I shall. But,
I have a few questions.

1) What sort of clearance is there supposed to be between the steering wheel
and the outer column on a collapsible column (1975 model)?

2) Is there supposed to be a second connexion on the horn of some sort; if
not, what is the purpose of the little contact spade extending down from the
main one (where the purple wire attaches)?

3) On models equipped with a steering interlock, what is the position of the
circlip at the top of the column supposed to be, and does it have some sort
of felt bushing inside of it?

4) How does one know whether the outside column assembly is good ... ie, does
it function as part of the collapsible section, or does only the inner
assembly collapse? ( I suspect the latter, but want to be sure ... I have
looked at the 'crinkled' metal cage at the bottom of this assembly, and its
shape seems to be intentional; but, I have no model with which to compare
it).

5) I assume, because my inner column assembly moves atall (and thanks to the
advice of a list member), that the inner assembly is shot.  How can I be
certain of this (in other words, am I overlooking some sort of retaining clip
that would keep the upper and lower halves stationary)?

6) How difficult is it to remove the steering wheel? Or rather I should say,
how difficult should it be? Does one require special tools for this? Having
removed the centre retaining nut from the end of the splines, I cannot get
the wheel to budge. Is this normal? I've never worked on a steering wheel
before, so this is new territory to me. Any roadblocks I should be aware of?

7) Same question as regards the universal joint at the other end of the
steering column. Any special tools/methods required to remove it without
doing it damage?

8) Finally, any advice as regards purchasing parts, installation, and any
upcoming problems I should be aware of? If this job seems too outrageous, I'd
rather part it out to a shop. This is a safety feature that I'd rather not
get wrong.  However, the removal seems straightforward, and the piece that
needs to be renewed (the inner, collapsible column) seems to be fairly
simple.  I'd prefer (as in most cases) to do it myself, assuming I can. I've
got standard tools, most power tools, but no pneumatics, torch, or welding
tools.

Thanks in advance, friends.  Assuming this goes relatively quickly, I can
have Rags back on the road as early as next week.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
...almost there