Door top rail covers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Door top rail covers
From: Richard Lancaster <RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:51:00 -0400
Flame me if you must, but this is what I did, and I would like your
comments, especially if you noticed the same thing.  Upon removing
the door top rails from my 67B, and removing all the ripped material,
foam, chrome end pieces, etc. I found a beautiful piece of grained
wood.  Thinking a little polyurathane left over from a house floor
restoration might make it look better and be water resistant, I
sanded it lightly and painted it.  After one coat it was beautifully
grained and just a shade lighter than my wood steering wheel.  After
2 coats its perfect and matches the steering wheel.  I am going to
put the small new "fuzzy" strip on the glass side and reinstall it
with the orginal chrome end pieces, with no covering at all.
No, I won't cover my original black crinkle, metal dash with some
cheap glue on thin wood stuff that curls up in one year, and yes, the
strip on the passengers door will look a little lonely so far from
the steering wheel, but I couldn't cover it up again!
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||