Re: Brake M/C Rebuild woes.....

To: "Ken.Strauss" <Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake M/C Rebuild woes.....
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:19:17 +0600
>     Does anyone have experience rebuilding a master cylinder on an late
>     MGB.
>I can't get the pressure differential mechanism out of the
>     master cylinder.

Yep.  Too bad I happened to do it during the MG list blackout a couple weeks
ago, otherwise you could have read all about it.

A compressed air line did nothing for me.  Even after stopping up all the
other holes with rubber plugs, the compressed air just went straight by the
old o-ring seals on the piston.

I let it soak overnight in WD40--a little spray into the hole where the
switch goes, then plugged up all the holes.  The next morning I put a socket
extension down the bore onto the end of the piston and thumped it with a
mallet to get a little motion.  Banged the MC on the ground a few times to
shake the piston down a small bit, then snagged the small recess on the
piston end with a slightly bent coathanger and yanked it out.  It was all
very stupid, but the only way I could figure to do it with the MC out.

If I'd put a little thought into it, I'd have done it before removing the
MC from the car.  With the MC still in place, just remove the plug from the
end of the MC, set up something to catch the fluid and parts (e.g. a peanut
butter jar), and start hopping on the pedal.  It all comes shooting out
pretty handily.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu