Re: previous request for help

To: Nic.Pillinger@bartley.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: previous request for help
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:42:43 -0400
Nic:

AB's comments are spot on as regards the throwout bearing. Many a friendly
yank gearhead has remarked about this feature.

Sorry no one got to you. 'My headlamps don't come on' is a lot easier to
diagnose, or suggest diagnoses for, than 'my engine idles strangely'.  Of
course, it could be a case similar to the two outfielders who stand looking
at each othe whilst the ball drops between them. 'I thought you got it!'

There are a lot of things that could contribute to your engine idling oddly.
Compression, timing, electrical fault, electronic ignition module, improperly
sealed intake/exhaust manifold ... the list goes on and on.

Try narrowing it down a bit and get back to us. Start by resetting the idle
at around 1000 as AB suggests. If that doesn't do it, get your handy Bentley
manual (you do have one, I hope) and check the timing. If it's off, try
correcting that next, then reset the idle again.  Timing doesn't usually go
south on a car with electronic ignition (and I'm assuming that, with a 76GT,
that's what you have) until the unit itself starts to go bad; you may need a
new electronic ignition module.

If the problem persists, go to a compression check next, on each cylinder.
This will require a compression tester, and will tell you a lot about the
overall condition of your engine. You may also wish to check the valve lash,
although symptoms of problems in this area are usually audible (sort of a
clackety-clack noise).

Hope this helps. If you've gotten that far, and still have the problem, post
it along with your test results ... it may be something that someone's seen
before.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'