Re: Too much Oil preasure?

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Too much Oil preasure?
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 20:41:06 -0400
>       Initialy, it showed 100 PSI or so and I thought it would fall and
>the parts became broken in.  However, after 300 miles it still shows 100
>PSI, sometimes going off the top of the scale!  Even when quite hot the
>guage only falls to 75 pounds at idle and even then is jumping up to 100.
>
>       So, how do I test my guage and is this much preasure a problem?

Yes too much pressue is a problem, hench the pressure relief valve.
To test the pressure you need a reliable gauge and then need to somehow
fit it in place of the old one.  This can probably best be done straight
off the block.

If it is indeed reading correctly you need to get it down.  Having oil
pressure that is too high will push the oil right thru the bearings and
not lube your motor.  Also, if your presser gets much higher you will
learn about your secret oil relief valve, you oil filter.  These are
designed to blow the cover when pressure is too high, (so I've been told.)

'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)

"If uniqueness makes us who we are... why be like everyone else?"