Re: Fuel Pump

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Richard Mutt <houdini@access.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:49:27 +2000 (EDT)
> > Ok here I go agian......
> >    I looked under the car at the fuel pump. Looks like a hose comes
> > from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb. I looked in
> > the book and it says that the pump is a low pressure pump. So can I
> > just place a universal fuel pump (24$ at Pep Boys) in the place of
> > the punp? (with diffrent hookups for the fuel line of corse)
>
> You cannot just use a generic fuel pump. It would have too much pressure
> and would make your carbs leak.  Many people will install a generic fuel
> pump and a pressure regulator in the engine compartment.
> I don't know how much you actually save if you have to buy the regulator
> as well, also I feel the regulator gives the engine compartment that
> typical DPO look (goes well with rusty pancake filters and snipped off air
> injector rails).

        I believe that most solid-state electric pumps come in high- and
low- pressure versions.  I purchased a low-pressure $20 pump 8 years ago
and it hasn't given me any trouble.  I don't know if I now qualify as a
DPO, but the replacement pump gives my car that "I-run-without-being-
hit-with-a-hammer" look, which I find quite attractive. ;-)

Safety fast,
Matt Trebelhorn         '70 B