Re: 73 B

To: Chuck_Ciaffone_at_WG-RAL <Chuck_Ciaffone_at_WG-RAL@smtp.wg.com>
Subject: Re: 73 B
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 09:26:17 +0000

>     Hi again,
>
>     Today I am going to look at a 73 B w/od that is for sale
>     locally.  Is there anything in particular I should look for in
>     a B?  Sills?  Wheel arches?  Battery case?  I know my midget,
>     but have never really looked at a B.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     chuck

Sills and floor!!!!!! Feel all around the sills for holes.
Poke around the sills on the inside of the car, which is covered
by upolstery, looking for soft spots. Reach under the car and
feel for holes. Due to the low ground clearance, it is hard to
eyeball the under side of the car. If the floor is rusted
it will be along the sills. The B I bought looked beautiful
but I found out too late that the outer and inner parts of the
sills where rusted out and the floor next to the sills was
gone. The outer sills were full of bondo. I don't know what
was holding the car up! Of course a good body shop (one
thats experienced with MGs) can fix this, if you have the
money and patience. At any rate don't pay alot of money
for one in this shape. The body is the most expensive part
of the car!

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 9 months and counting