1977 Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1977 Midget
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 20:20:37 -0400
mgs-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu wrote:
> I just looked at a 1977 MG Midget. Some rear-end damage.

  Price the panels you need before you decide if the car is
a good deal.

> 67K.

  Has the engine been rebuilt? it seems that 90,000 miles is about
the rebuild interval on that engine. 67K is getting close.

> rag-top has shrunk.

  Easy to obtain a new one, but not cheap.

> Rubber bumpers heat distorted.

  Where is the rubber bumper distorted? Mine has slight distortion
on the thin upper part of the front. The passenger side sort of
swoops down a bit, maybe .5cm.

  At any rate, if concours isn't your goal, you can carefully mount
a plate on the bottom or the back that lifts the sagging middle part
and makes it look straight again to anyone not lying on the ground.

> 1. What else should I look for???

  Rust along the rockers, that's a structural piece on a Midget
so rust is more than an annoyance.

  Compression (on cylinders 3 and 4 especially).

  Wiring, original or at least well fixed. Check all the little things
like reverse lights and flashers, that's a real pain to fix on any
car especially if it's already been patched and hacked by a DPO.

> 2. What's the approximate value ??

  I got my '75 midget in running condition for $2200CDN which is
about $1600US. It was running roughly but complete and street-certified
for instant use.

> 3. What engine SHOULD be installed. ??

  As mentioned, the 1500cc Triumph Engine. Not the best engine in the
world, but fairly decent when it works. Beware of odd sounds and
low oil pressure for the first few seconds of a cold start, it's the
warning signs of an impending rebuild.

  On the good side, parts and even engines are fairly plentiful for
the 1500cc Midgets because of the Spitfires that also used them.

--
                   Trevor Boicey - Computer Engineer
                1992 Celica GT (95% of the driving I do)