thumbs up (was: wave)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: thumbs up (was: wave)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:56:43 -0400
Fellow fiends:

After reading Michael L.'s update on his wave data, I thought I'd report my
most recent experience.  This AM I was taking my usual route in to work
("high speed/high tension/heavy on the breaks urban interstate) when I
spotted a primrose Hudson Jet in the far right lane, trying its best to set
a land speed record, and being passed by 6-banger trucks loaded with cinder
bricks.

Feeling a certain solidarity with the driver (I don't care what you say,
driving my lbc on Deeeetroit's urban interstates still scares the patooties
out of me most of the time (let me tell you sometime about the rain storm I
was caught in and how some corkhead almost plowed into my backside in the
breakdown lane...)), I decided to give him the 'thumbs up' as a sign of
support and approval for his effort.  I did so, but he only scoweled back at
me.  Bear in mind that I was in the M*a#a, not the B, and this is
Deeeeetroit, and he probably was on the assembly line when that Jet came
down the line and so...  Alternatively, he may have mis-read the digit.
That could have lead to mis-interpretation of my cheerful intention, if you
think about it.  None-the-less, I was crestfallen as my attempt at car-guy
comraderie was rejected.

Now, what does this have to do with lbc's?  Not much, I'll admit.  But,
ponder this: would he have scowled if I was driving...

--another Hudson Jet?
--how 'bout a Hudson Hornet?
--how 'bout an MGB?
--If I was Bob Dole (driving a M*a#a)???

Think about it...

Will Z.