RE: Electronic Ignition Systems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition Systems
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 23:57:56 -0400
< I have installed and used the Allison/Crane Cams systems on both my '77 B
<and my previous '79 Midget with great luck.

<His/my question to the group is the relative advantages of the type
<(advertised by Moss & others) that fits inside the distributor vs the Crane
<Cam external system.  Specifically which is better in terms of:

I'm alittle behind reading my mail, but I wanted to reply indirectly with a
personal experience, and a question of my own for the list:

In 1988 I installed the Allison (now Crane) external electronic ignition to
my 69 Midget to replace the points and condensor.  I felt the parts they
provided on the sending end inside the distributor were a little micky mouse.
 They claimed, however to provide a lifetime warantee, and my friend had one
on his car that he liked, so I tried it.

The first time I used water to clean my engine compartment, the Brain quit
working.  The store I bought the unit from told me I would have to deal
directly with Allison.  Allison told me I would have to pay shipping both
ways, and offered no help as to what to do for the 6-8 weeks it was going to
take to "inspect" my ignition system.  They also wanted me to send my
distributor so they could make sure it wasn't my installation that was the
problem.  Grudgingly, I threw the piece of S*** in the trash, found a Lucas
electronic ignition system which included a brand new distributor, brain, and
necessary wiring for $200, and have been happy ever since (8 years)

My second experience with the Crane system was on a car I bought to fix up
and sell.  Got the car all dialed in and running great.  Went to clean the
engine compartment.  Spray on engine cleaner, hose off.....Crane system dead!

My advise is Crane system is not all it's cracked up to be.  Anybody else
with these problems or am I the only one?

I also discovered that inside the Lucas electronic brain resides a standard
delco electronic ignition module, available at most generic auto parts
stores.

David Riker
69 Midget