RE: Electronic Ignition Systems

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition Systems
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
;....The first time I used water to clean my engine compartment, the Brain
quit
;working...
;My second experience with the Crane system was on a car I bought to fix up
;and sell.  Got the car all dialed in and running great.  Went to clean the
;engine compartment.  Spray on engine cleaner, hose off.....Crane system
dead!

Two things. Not to Flame you but...

1. The instructions on engine degreasers clearly state that you should cover
the distributor and electronics to prevent damage. It's common sense not to
spray an electric device with a corrosive spray and then water.

2. If you learned from the first car that spraying it with cleaner and water
killed it, why did you do the same thing to the second car?

I had a crane in a 1980 which did indeed start to cut out and then died. It
was replaced with a Lumenition (sp?) which worked great until I replaced it
all with a Mallory electronic distributor which is still working fine. While
the Crane worked, it worked well and it lasted for about 5 1/2 years. If you
do get the unit really wet you should let it dry out before attempting to
start the car. I am not necessarily recommending their use, just
recommending that you don't spray them with water and other chemicals and
expect them to work the same way

Chris