Re: MGA engine weights

To: jpl@dbsa.org
Subject: Re: MGA engine weights
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:42:27 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-14 07:27:10 EDT, jpl@dbsa.org (Jean-Pierre
Labuschagne) writes:

<< How much does a 1957 1500 MGA engine weigh? I will soon be removing mine
(with a hoist or lift) and I would like to know once the thing is out of the
car how difficult is it to move around. The place of removing and repairing
might be different so I would have to transport probably in the boot/trunk of
a car without a hoist at the other end. Can this thing be carried ? Could two
average people lift the engine? also ditto for the gearbox. >>

I can't personally pick up the engine with the flywheel and clutch attached,
but I do handle it a lot otherwise, best guess is something under 300 pounds.
 The gearbox I do pick up and install by hand, about 70 pounds I think.

One average person should be able to lift a bare engine block into the boot,
other parts are lighter.  The short block assembly with crankshaft and
pistons installed is a bit iffy, how healthy do you feel?  How much do you
value your back?  Once you add the head, forget it, unless you are an
accomplished weight lifter.  Two people could probably lift the complete
engine onto the tail gate of a pickup truck, but I wouldn't advise ever
trying to lift it out of the boot by hand.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA