Re: Rebuilding an MGA 1500

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rebuilding an MGA 1500
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 15 Aug 1996 09:59:37 -0500
In <960814212406_179203073@emout08.mail.aol.com>, RatiganJ@aol.com wrote:
>    I have a 1500 engine that needs a rebuild.  I have never rebuilt an
>engine; however, I have some mechanicing abilities.  I wonder if one should
>attempt to rebuild an MGA motor if one has never done one before.  If so,
>does anyone know of a good guide for rebuilding - other than the shop manual,
>of course.  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

If this is your first time, I'd strongly recommend insuring that you
have access to someone who is a reliable source of engine lore.  There
are a lot of little fiddles that are not in the manual.  BMC presumed
that Nigel knew what he was doing, and the manual is a rough, rather
than hand-holding guide.  Just as a for instance, there is the proper
usage of (or even access to) precision measuring instruments.  It
makes no sense to rip a mill apart and not measure _everything_.  You
will find that if the engine has not been rebuilt previously, it will
require a lot of machine work (new valves, guides, hardened seats,
most likely cylinders bored and new pistons, possibly a crank grind is
in your future).  You can't do this is your basement, unless it is a
most enviable basement.

For this reason I'd ask around your neighborhood for a recommendation
for a reliable and knowledgeable auto machine shop.  If there is a
local rod shop or specialty engine shop this is probably what you
want.  They should understand what you want and can help you through
the steps, in fair exchange for the work that you will have them do.
If they will only do it all themselves, keep looking.

Don't forget the assembly lube.
                        A. B. Bonds