Smog/road legal/off road legal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog/road legal/off road legal
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:37:36 -1000
Sorry, but I've got to ask this in case anyone knows a definitive answer:

Potential situation:
Take car to smogII station, car fails, get waiver, next cycle car fails again
and labeled as a gross polluter in California, possibly tagged as
crusher-bound.

Question:
Is it feasible at that late point to define the car as an off-road/show or
race car (vintage or otherwise), keep a clean title (though it may be
labeled as not licensible for legal road use), and then keep it as a parts
car or whatever possibly to at some later date relocate the car to
elsewhere to be licensed for road use?

Also, currently after 5 years the California computer system is purged of
data regarding non-registered or out-of-date cars.  If my car got tagged,
could I then just store it for 5+ years and then put it back into the
system via a DMV/CHP VIN inspection, assuming it could pass the smog tests?

I'm wondering if all those cars in museums have non-op titles on record, or
do they just have bill of sales in the museum files and no title of record?
Maybe I should just go down to the Ford Towne Museum in Sacramento and ask
them there.

Then again, maybe I should sell my rubber bumper midget and get a MGA, or
TC or TD or TF or ....

Mike (I hate smog tests)