Re: WWW Address for Smog Check 2

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MV.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: WWW Address for Smog Check 2
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:21:33 -0700 (PDT) (11:21 am 18:21 UT)
> It clears up a few questions, but I'm still interested in hearing more
  info, particularly about whether these changes were federally
  mandated.  There is a lot of misinformation circulating about the new
<  Smog Check 2, and I would like to get real facts.

   Smog Check 2 is not Federally mandated.  It is merely how California
and the AQMD choose to interpret and implement the mandate to reduce
pollution.  They could have abolished pollution credits, implemented controls
on diesel engines, outlawed two-cycle engines, banned cattle flatulence,
prohibited forest fires, outlawed cremation, or required everyone to mount
charcoal filters on their roofs to filter the atmosphere.  Wood-burning
fireplaces will be banned in the not-too distant future (My personal
prediction: I read it in the coffee grounds this morning.).
   Rumor now is that it is stalled, due to all the protest.  I wonder if
this is not just wishful thinking?  Is the political trick to propose
some outrageous imposition, and then back down to an intermediate position
that would not have originally been acceptable?  ("OK, we won't fail 28%
of the cars, we'll only fail 15%.")

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*