Midget question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget question
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:02:17 -1000
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 22:52:36 -0400
>From: roethler@cadetmail.uscga.edu (Brust)
>Subject: Midgets
>
>I have a coupla questions for anyone who knows their trivia on Midgets....
>so here goes:
>
>1) When was the 3.7:1 axle ratio used?
>2) Can a 1/4 elliptic car be converted to 1/2 elliptic fairly easily?  (the
>car is bare right now and it would be just as easy to bolt on a late setup
>with the right gears, good double acting brakes.... etc.)

There is an article written by Ray English that lists which cars had
the various diffs that are usable with spridgets. The article is available
from

        http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/cars/goblins/doctor_a.html

As for converting to 1/2 elliptic - Why? You can change over to different
rear brakes without changing to 1/2 elliptic! Besides, 1/4 elliptic cars
handle better.

The structural changes are not trivial. You'd have to change the
forward pickup area (big job) and add the internal bracing to the rear
pickup.

Besides, snce you obviously have a Mk I Midget, please don't butcher it. It
is the rarest of the Midgets by a *long* way.

Mike

Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au