MGA Stuff -Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net, procysh@en.com
Subject: MGA Stuff -Reply
From: Dan Hughes <Dan_Hughes@troweprice.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:58:36 -0500
Wish you luck, but I'll still be keeping an eye out for that phone number!!

>>> George Procyshyn <procysh@en.com> 08/20/96 03:21am >>>
  I bought a '59 MGA today from an elderly collector.  He bought the car in
1980 with 16,007 miles on it. When I bought it today it has all of 16,850
miles on it.  This now P.O. also has a 38,000 mile '55TF that's at LEAST a
90 point car and a PAIR of '52TD's of similar quality, one of which has
36,000 miles on it.  And me, who's been known to travel across multiple states
to look at "not quite right" LBC's  found all of this Locally! and
EVERY things for sale! He's 75 and claims his health won't let him keep up the
cars the way he knows they should be. His wife claims he's down from a high of
twelve LBC's . . . unbelievable!   I'm trying to raise the $$ for the TF and
the low mileage TD. Good deals and great cars, these things just don't come
along every day! If I fail, I'll post his phone # to the list.
Even my better half is shaking her head up & down instead of left & right!
Well back to the  MGA.

 Noooooo rust anywhere, I mean NONE!. Excellent original chrome, great top w/
nearly new rear window, rebuilt side curtains, (the paper isn't even off the
plexiglass yet), tonneau cover, box of spares, a new leather moss interior,
and even a dust cover.  I called a MONTH old newspaper ad and turns out that
no body even went out to see the car during the ad run .... can you believe
it?
He originally wanted $7500. but agreed to sell it to me for $5500. Heh Heh

  The years have taken their toll though, the prince of darkness has done his
best to negate all the good things about this car as it also came with an
super deluxe Lucas electrical system. Lucas coil and all. Lets see now, when
you turn on the parking lights everything comes on, but the drivers side
lights are brighter than the passenger side. Pull the headlamps on and the
passenger rear taillight goes out. The headlamps though burn dimly, and
revving the engine doesn't brighten them up either. . . . sniff  You can
however jiggle the ignition key to brighten the headlights, not high beam, .
. . brighten! . . .Honestly! The horn is dead as is the map light. I broke the
plastic knob from the light switch as the switch sticks badly, but jiggling it
does allow the instrument lights to function .... just barely.

Questions;
1. Anyone have an MGA turn signal switch (that works) for sale?
2. Does anyone make a battery box conversion to one 12 volt battery or do I
just break out the welder?
3. What is involved with converting to wire wheels? Is this practical or does
half of the bottom end need to be replaced?  I know Moss motors sells a
Bolt-on 48 spoke chrome wire wheel kit. (any comments on this?)
4. Anyone have any original Lucas '576' lamps with brackets for sale? These
are the driving/fog lamps.
5. What does the Tachometer cable connect to?
6. Is it REALLY supposed to get that hot under the hood?

Regards All!
George .. an old dog having a GOOD day! .. Procyshyn