Re: MGA Stuff

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Stuff
From: Alberto Manganini <albertom@mbox.vol.it>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 17:56:10 -0500
-- [ From: Alberto Manganini * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>  Noooooo rust anywhere, I mean NONE!. Excellent original chrome, great top
> w/ nearly new rear window, rebuilt side curtains, (the paper isn't even
off
> the plexiglass yet), tonneau cover, box of spares, a new leather moss
> interior, and even a dust cover.  I called a MONTH old newspaper ad and
> turns out that no body even went out to see the car during the ad run ....
> can you believe it?
> He originally wanted $7500. but agreed to sell it to me for $5500. Heh Heh

Snort!, I can't believe it! I've been looking for an MGA since firsts of
this year, and can't find something good for twice the price!
envy is devouring me...

Anyway, as I'm using these MGA-less days to document myself...

> Questions;
> 1. Anyone have an MGA turn signal switch (that works) for sale?

NTG Ltd. and Anglo-Parts both list them in their catalogue. If you're
looking for originality, I've been told that Anglo-Parts is one of the few
to supply switches with the correct nuts...don't know about the other.

> 2. Does anyone make a battery box conversion to one 12 volt battery or do
> just break out the welder?

Don't know...I'd keep 6V batteries

> 3. What is involved with converting to wire wheels? Is this practical or
> does half of the bottom end need to be replaced?  I know Moss motors sells
> Bolt-on 48 spoke chrome wire wheel kit. (any comments on this?)

You have to get:
-wire wheels (would you ever said it?)
-knock offs
..and..
rear:
-special axle shafts
-hubs
-plugs to put into hubs after the shafts are fitted
-lock tap plates
-studs and nuts
front:
-if you have a drum brakes, new drums and lock tap plates with their nuts
-hubs and oil seals
-grease caps

This for best results, otherwise there's an economical alternative,
consisting in special hubs to be bolted in place of the originals.

> 4. Anyone have any original Lucas '576' lamps with brackets for sale?
These
> are the driving/fog lamps.

Check the suppliers above

> 5. What does the Tachometer cable connect to?
to the rear left part of the engine (as seen from driver's seat), slightly
above the oil relief valve.

> 6. Is it REALLY supposed to get that hot under the hood?

STILL don't know :-((

Ciao
--

Alberto Manganini - albertom@mbox.vol.it