Smog check 2 hysteria/info for Californians

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog check 2 hysteria/info for Californians
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:19:14 -0400
Fellow Scions, there has been much written here about this new program and I
believe there are some issues to be concerned about however a word of
caution.  The real facts seem to be difficult to come by and some radio media
here in the Bay Area has hyped this thing into something of a "Freemen"
issue.  Unfortunately lots of misinformation is being thrown out on the
airways.  Tonight on KSFO the lady talk show host repeated many times that
New Jersey had imbedded in their smog program the ability to come onto your
driveway and confiscate your car.  From what some of you from New Jersey have
said, this is not true and that section of the law was changed.  Maybe it
took a little hysteria to do it, so maybe a little hysteria here won't hurt
either.  BUT I'd rather deal with the facts of the situation.  Lets all work
to get the real facts together on this important issue.

It is a fact that all cars 1965 and older are exempt from all smog checks.
 Perhaps there will be a stampede to buy cars made before 1965 :-).  And it
is a fact that the Bay Area is unaffected by the new smog check because we
are in compliance with the federal guidelines.  This is of little console to
those Scions living in Sacramento or L.A. or San Diego.   I met a car guy who
works for the Monteray Bay Air Quality Management District at Pebble Beach
yesterday.  He is going to help me uncover the facts of the matter.

Since I have 5 LBC's made before 1954 its not the smog checks that I am
concerned about but rather the new gasoline and car fires.  I've been keeping
track lately and I would say there is at least one car fire in the Bay Area
every day.  Change those fuel hoses today!

Terry