Re: stupid timing question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stupid timing question
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:48:31 -0700
Will Zehring wrote:

> Fellow fiends:
>
> Please settle these issues:  I'm having a 'discussion' with a member of my
> local car guy support group on timing the venerable B-series engine.  Please
> tell me if the following statements are true or false:
>
> Statement #1:  "Don't bother dynamically tuning the B-series engine.  Just
> static tune it at 10 BTDC and you'll be fine.  Leave me alone!"

Well, the Bentley version of the shop manual lists static timing as the
recommended
way to do it.  I've done both, I can say if there was much difference.

> Statement #4:  "Don't even think of enhancing performance in the B-series
> with a bunch of tricks like a hot cam or gas porting.  The thing's a lump,
> always has been, always will be.  Be happy with what you have and don't get
> fancy.  Now beat it!"

Well with my ported polish head, LCB big bore exhaust and K&N filters I
get some
good power.  (This is on a 68 B with no emissions).  Get a copy of
Performance MGB
from Moss UK and look at your options.  This is a great pamplet, it has
some
Dyno curves in the back, they are quite interesting.  Getting a correct
set of
needles in good (I rebuilt/rebushed mine) SUs is important.  I'm using
the "rich"
needles, a good tuning is important as well.  The MGB will never B a
rocket but with
some modest cost and work can be a bit snapper than stock.
P.S.  I also have a crane ignition, a sport coil and platinum plugs.

> Really, this guy is a good friend, but he does get testy once in a while.
Well YMMV but get him to drive the car now, do the above on it and then
get him
to drive it.  I'd almost bet he will change his mind, but then some
animals are
stubbern:)

> Anyway, I'm already appreciating any polite comments you-all might have.
> Where is the high priestess when you need her?
>
> Will "some of my friends are nice" Zehring

Gary