Re: stupid timing question

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Subject: Re: stupid timing question
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:09:58 -0400
At 10:51 AM 8/20/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Fellow fiends:
>
>Please settle these issues:  I'm having a 'discussion' with a member of my
>local car guy support group on timing the venerable B-series engine.  Please
>tell me if the following statements are true or false:
>
>Statement #1:  "Don't bother dynamically tuning the B-series engine.  Just
>static tune it at 10 BTDC and you'll be fine.  Leave me alone!"

Don't listen to him.

>Statement #2:  "The vacuum advance on the B-series doesn't really matter.
>You can drive the car with perfectly good performance with out the vacuum
>advance working at all.  Now push off!"

This, actually, is partly true.  My car's vaccum advance was broken when I
bought it this spring, and it runs great.  However, a discalimer:  I don't
have much to compare it to, as I haven't driven a lot of B's.  I DO plan on
getting a new one soon, regardless.

>Statement #2.5:  "Don't worry about the centrifugal advance springs in your
>distributor.  You're just imagining you're losing power at high rpms.  Its a
>B, for chrissake (!), you don't have power at any rpms anyway!  Enjoy the
>car and stop bothering me."  (editor's note: my friend is a bit of a snot
>when it comes to MGs).

Couldn't tell you.  Don't know what they are!  :)

>Statement #3:  "Your car is too far advanced if its at 15+ BTDC at 1200 RPM.
> Like I say, just static tune it and stop bothering me."

Again, I doubt it.

>Statement #4:  "Don't even think of enhancing performance in the B-series
>with a bunch of tricks like a hot cam or gas porting.  The thing's a lump,
>always has been, always will be.  Be happy with what you have and don't get
>fancy.  Now beat it!"
>
>Really, this guy is a good friend, but he does get testy once in a while.
>Anyway, I'm already appreciating any polite comments you-all might have.
>Where is the high priestess when you need her?

I'm glad you qualified this with the word "polite comments"...I may have
gotten nasty otherwise. <g>  Anyway, my general philosopy is, "If the guys
got a crumby attitude about my car, he no longer influences any decisions I
make about what I do with it."  Of course, my $0.02.

Regards,

[       JASON DUTT       ]
[ simjason@ix.netcom.com ]
  \  1972 MGB Roadster /