Book Review

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Book Review
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:54:20 PST
Book Review

MG SPORTS CARS, by John Heilig, Motorbooks International, Osceola WI,
1996, $12.95.

It's always time for a new book on MGs, Right?  This is a book by an
enthusiast
for enthusiasts. There are a few minor enthusiastic errors, but they are
hardly
noticeable and far outweighed by the thorough overview and fresh
photographs
of all models.

The author drew on his extensive collection of early photographs and BMC
and
BL advertising literature to remind us of where these cars came from and
where
they are going (yes, the closing chapter is on the MGF). Beginning with
Morris
and the bicycles he repeats the well-worn story of Morris Garages, Cecil
Kimber
and the pre-war years, the T invasion, and so on up until the present.
Unfortunately, the saloon cars are ignored, but remember the title, MG
SPORTS CARS, not sedans.

There are beautiful color pictures of beautiful cars -- but wait -- look
closely;
these cars might have tiny paint chips or a few dings in the chrome! My
heavens! They didn't roll out the museum pieces for the photos, they're
nothing
more than sharp daily drivers. Hooray! It seems Mr. Heilig is an
enthusiast who
owns, loves and drives Mgs.

The sharp photos and straight ahead reporting style make this 96 page
paperback (93 color photos plus some black and white historic photos) a
must
have on every MG sports car owner's book shelf.

While I might not sound like it, I am not affiliated with Mr. Heilig, the
publisher, etc., etc.

David F. Darby
Interior Highlands
MGAs, MGBs